On the (Frankfurt) sunny side – residential construction with sliding shutters by Baier
One of the city’s freight stations was once located in the south of Frankfurt. But in the meantime the site was without use. The 28,500 square metre site was empty. Like many former railway properties, it scores points with its central location – and also with a favourable orientation to the south.
But there were also serious restrictions:
- The proximity to the tracks along the south side of the entire site.
- The desire for an economical development with high-quality housing at an appropriate density.
Both the search for a suitable urban development plan and for an investor proved difficult.
High-quality living space in a dense residential environment
The contract was finally awarded to HOCHTIEF Solutions AG and Wilma Wohnen Süd. They commissioned Hartmann Architekten with the urban planning. The design envisages 196 residential units in 38 single-family houses and twelve multi-family houses as well as an underground car park and a kindergarten.
The single-family houses will be built in the form of a long row of terraced houses on the south side. The four- and five-storey apartment buildings are surrounded by greenery to the north of the newly created access road.
The street is not a through road, so that a quiet residential quarter for families and couples can be created in a sought-after location.
Nevertheless, the architectural planning had to deal sensitively with the issue of privacy. The office Magnus Kaminiarz & Cie specialised in high-quality, urban housing in a densely built environment.
Careful façade design with sliding shutters has a positive effect inside and out
The team of Magnus Kaminiarz Architekten decided on a special façade design with sliding shutters. They chose Baier – the specialist for sun and privacy protection – as their partner company.
Baier is not only convincing because of its high product quality, but also because of its customised and individual adaptations as well as its high technical competence. This means that even elaborate ideas can be implemented. This was the case in Frankfurt.
High quality living: French windows with sliding shutters as individual sun and privacy protection
To bring as much sun and greenery into the flats as possible, all windows are designed as French balconies. The floor-to-ceiling windows with balustrades can be opened completely.
To ensure that there are nevertheless no glimpses from the surrounding buildings, sliding shutters provide individual privacy protection. They also prevent excessive solar radiation from heating up the flats – another plus for a pleasant living climate. The shutters can be motor-controlled from the respective flats. In this way, each sun/visual protection can be selected individually and according to need.
High-quality façade design: sliding shutter system embedded in thermal insulation composite system
For the exterior design of the buildings, the architects placed particular emphasis on high-quality façade design down to the last detail. Each unit, with one or two sliding shutters, is recessed into a discreet recess in the ETICS façade. The front of the sliding shutters is flush with the rendered façade.
This complex façade design presents Baier with three challenges.
- The fastening in the ETICS façade had to be correct in terms of building physics.
- The literally integrated privacy screen required customised details.
- Sliding shutters and construction had to be configured for the object in terms of colour and design.
Get to grips with the façade
As a specialist for object-specific privacy protection and shading, Baier was able to provide the best solution for all three tasks:
- Installation in ETICS façade: Basically, building physics specifications must always be taken into account when installing in a façade with external insulation. Due to the heat-conducting metal, incorrect construction can cause cold bridges, which can lead to condensation in the interior and, in the worst case, to mould. Baier has this demanding detail safely under control. A thermal break is created between the outer wall and the support by means of a thermal break underlay.
- Visual protection flush with the façade: A filigree cover strip flush with the plaster surface blends the construction perfectly into the façade.
- Individual sliding shutter appearance: Baier also offers maximum flexibility with regard to the colour scheme. The construction, sliding shutter frame and slats are coated in dark brown – matching the façade in light beige with a natural stone base. At the architects’ request, the fixed aluminium slats were arranged at an angle in the striking frame at the factory.
Baier sliding shutter model Frankfurt in Frankfurt’s Holbein district
Thanks to the 136 high-quality sliding shutters from Baier
- the privacy of the flats is protected even in dense buildings and the
- heating up due to intensive solar radiation is prevented by the large window areas.
- The building maintains and preserves a uniform appearance and
- the property is enhanced by the premium product.
It almost seems as if the architects had taken inspiration from another European metropolis: Paris – with its dense development, large windows and typical shutters.
May we inspire you too? Then contact us. We will be happy to advise you on the appropriate shading for your property.