Love the sun and use solar energy – through sliding shutters with wooden slats
Since 2017, 1,800 flats and supplementary infrastructure facilities such as daycare centres and a school have been built on the site of the former Prinz Eugen barracks in Munich Bogenhausen. Social and ecological aspects have a high priority.
Common rooms and facilities and the self-management of the new neighbourhood by a cooperative are testing participatory coexistence. An ecological model settlement is being built in the south of the site. All buildings in this section will be constructed in timber.
The task: condominiums to KfW 55 standard in Germany’s largest timber housing estate
The private building group “Der kleiner Prinz GbR” also has its plot in the southern construction area. Here, 39 families want to build condominiums and single-family houses. Naturally, they are to be built in accordance with the specifications of the
- timber construction,
- support biodiversity
- and energy-efficient
The solution: architecture according to ecological criteria and with passive solar energy
The architectural firm dressler meyerhofer rössler took on the planning. The architects developed a development consisting of 24 two- to three-storey atrium houses and two four-storey point houses with a total of 15 condominiums. An important component of the architecture: the intelligent implementation of the principles of ecological building.
- The atrium houses form a dense “carpet”. This reduces heat loss and minimises the sealing of the plot. Atriums nevertheless give each house a private outdoor area.
- All buildings are constructed from wood, a renewable resource. Green roofs promote biodiversity.
- The variable floor plans allow adaptation to changing phases of life and the demands of the users without costly conversion measures.
- The point houses in particular use passive solar energy with their south-facing orientation and large windows, including shading through sliding shutters. In winter, the incident sun warms the highly insulated rooms. In summer, the movable sun protection prevents overheating.
Sliding shutters from Baier with vertical wooden slats as sun protection and for façade design
All buildings take account of the construction method with a cladding of pre-grey, vertical wooden slats. While the atrium houses present themselves with a linear perforated façade, the façade design of the point houses is literally more multi-layered.
Floor-to-ceiling windows alternate with coloured surfaces and wood-clad segments. This results in slight projections and recesses. The multi-layered look is further emphasised by storey-high sliding shutters in front of the façade.
A total of 108 sliding shutters of the Freiburg model were installed. The model is ideal for an individual filling of wooden slats. The narrow yet stable frame profiles ensure an almost frameless appearance.
The dimension and cross-section of the slats can be freely selected, as can the spacing. The architects opted for a rather unusual cladding with vertical lamellas, as they were also used on the other façades. With Baier, the implementation was no problem.
Individual detailing of the sliding shutter guide by Baier for timber façade
The detailing of the construction was also customised by Baier. Baier had to adapt the lower guide due to the slightly stepped façade.
- On the ground floor, the U-guide was hidden under the window sill. The sliding shutter runs in it with a plastic sliding shoe that was attached to the shutter via an angle.
- On the upper floors, no fastening was possible in the window area. Baier decided on T-profiles in which the sliding shutters are guided with double roller bolts.
- The balconies are located on the south side of the buildings – 8 per building. They can also be protected from excessive sunlight with sliding shutters. For 15 balconies, the guidance was implemented with comb gutters. The balcony on the ground floor has a U-shaped guide.
In addition to the construction of the guide, the operation also varies: 73 sliding shutters are manually operated, 33 are motorised and 2 wings are fixed.
And what should the sun protection look like on your next property? Contact us. We will realise your ideas.